Fun 1980’s Factoids That Include Las Vegas
The 80’s were a unique time, even in Las Vegas.
It’s Because Of the 80’s:
The 1980s was the birthplace of so many things. Some that are commonplace in our lives now. Like personal computers, cell phones – of course those bricks weighed a lot more back then. And the extreme – leg warmers, neon, and big hair for women. The bigger, the better.
I admit, I probably had TOO much much fun in the 80’s. But if you weren’t having that much fun, and doing everything in excess, you weren’t doing the 80’s.
It was a strange, and magical time that has certainly made a big comeback. Seems like the 80’s are more popular now than ever before.
80’s Fun Facts, Include Las Vegas:
It’s all about nostalgia, and we love nostalgia. There’s nothing better than great memories of those simpler times – and just being younger.
So guys and gals, put on your short, short Dolphin shorts, and your neon pink mesh half shirt – it’s time for a weekly dose of “80’s fun facts,” including some Las Vegas factoids.
1. Waterbeds: were a hot item! In the 80’s a large percentage of all mattress sales were waterbeds. The waterbed market was unstoppable. Until you got a leak – and decided to get a real mattress.
2. Toni Basil releases “Mickey” in 1981. She’s from Las Vegas, and wears her Las Vegas High School Cheerleader uniform in the MTV video.
3. Steve Wynn opens The Mirage in 1989. 3000 rooms, and it was extravagant. According to the Circa blog, and most people in the hotel business in Las Vegas, it changed the face of the Las Vegas Strip. It also led the way for more over the top resorts.
4. Boomboxes. totally portable! Though they definitely required some arm strength to carry them around all day. But they were a sign you loved your music, and you were somebody!
5. In 1981, Dr. Noah Drake was hot on General Hospital, and General Hospital was at its peak after Luke and Laura’s wedding. YOU know Dr Noah Drake as Rick Springfield. His song Jessie’s Girl also skyrocketed on the charts that year.
6. Ripped sweatshirts were the hottest! Thank Jennifer Beals for these. Rumor has it, she accidentally shrunk a sweatshirt. It didn’t fit, so she cut off the collar so it would. Then she wore it to her Flashdance audition. The rest is history – it was on her in the movie, and it was on me and you!
7. “Where’s the Beef?”, Clara Peller became famous for that line in the 1980’s Wendy’s ads. Then she was fired! She was cheating on Wendy’s. She did a commercial for a spaghetti sauce and said “I found it!” She wasn’t supposed to find the beef anywhere but Wendy’s.
Thank you to Mental Floss for some of these fun 80’s facts. More 80’s facts to come next week!