Larry Martino

Larry Martino

Larry Martino

By now you have probably participated in at least one online meeting in your work life. Or, maybe you and your family conducted online meetings during the pandemic. Either way, it has become a way of life in America.

QualityLogoProducts.com recently conducted a survey of 1,200 currently employed American workers to determine how focused they were during these online meetings. They found that the average workers spends about three hours each week in these online meetings. The survey also found workers zone out more in online meetings than they do during in-person gatherings.

Some other findings in the survey: Half of those interviewed stated that they keep their cameras on during these online meetings. 56% said they would choose online meetings over in-person meetings for the rest of their careers.

Here are some of the activities that were mentioned by workers which did NOT make the Top 5. Some of these answers really make you wonder if these online meetings are a good idea. 14% said they drink alcohol during online meetings! Wow! 36% said they play online games. 19% said they exercised. 26% stated they cleaned the house and 34% mentioned they did household chores. If you add those together, it would have made the Top 5. 34% said they watch television and 36% said they watch online videos. Add those together and it would make the Top 5 too. 14% said they read a book and 21% stated they drive a car during online meetings.

It is pretty obvious that our minds are not focused on the details of these online meetings all the time. Have you done any of the activities we’ve mentioned during an online meeting? Maybe you’re reading this article during an online meeting. Don’t worry, we won’t tell.

Let’s see if you’ve done any of the Top 5. I know I have!

 

Let’s be friends! 👍 Follow us on all social media platforms:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/kklz963

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kklz963/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kklz963/

 

Larry Martino is the long-time Afternoon Drive personality on 96.3 KKLZ. The views and opinions expressed in this blog are those of Larry Martino and not necessarily those of Beasley Media Group, LLC.

  • 5) Go To The Bathroom

    White toilet in home bathroom

     

    When you have to go, you have to go! Now, do you excuse yourself before you leave the meeting or just turn off your camera and head to the lavatory? Either way, you will probably miss something important. By the way, the survey specifically mentioned this was for number one.

  • 4) Make A Quick Meal Or Snack

    Microwaving a pizza

     

    I have done this one. A lot of the online meetings in which I participate happen just after I wake up, so I end up microwaving my breakfast while the meeting progresses. Don’t worry, I make sure my mic is off so the sound of the microwave doesn’t annoy other people in the meeting. I don’t make them watch me eat either.

  • 3) Online shop

    Woman online shopping

     

    I have never done this activity during an online meeting. I’m not judging, I just don’t like shopping so I know this can always wait. But, some people love to shop, so this will make you look busy on camera, even if you’re really not paying attention.

  • 2) Do Other Work

    Doing work online

     

    Yes, I’m guilty of this one. I have been in some online meetings that really do not apply to what I do, yet it was mandatory that I participate. So, I’m listening with one ear to make sure I don’t miss anything, and I may be answering emails while the meeting progresses. I guess we call that multi-tasking, right?

  • 1) Text

    Texting while online

     

    86% of the respondents in this survey stated that they sometimes text during online meetings. I would bet that the other 14% are lying. Just sayin’. I am guilty of texting during online meetings. Sometimes, I’m texting with co-workers who are part of the same meeting and we’re commenting on what’s going on. Hope they delete those texts!

Sign me up for the 96.3 KKLZ email newsletter!

You love 96.3 KKLZ, so join the VIP Club! Be the first to know about our amazing ticket giveaways, the latest updates with your favorite artists, and more delivered right to your inbox.

*
*
By clicking "Subscribe" I agree to the website's terms of Service and Privacy Policy. I understand I can unsubscribe at any time.