Couple Suing Las Vegas Hotel For Live Bat Found In Their Room
Well this is not something you want to see when you check in to your hotel room.
A family from Arizona is suing the New York-New York hotel on the Las Vegas strip, after claiming they found a live bat in their hotel room. The incident happened when Marcus Rucker and his family were in town for a volleyball tournament last April, news3lv.com reported. They were visiting from Phoenix.
According to the report, Rucker alleged that he and his wife were asleep when he first heard the bat. He followed the noises coming from the curtains and found the live bat there. The report states that Rucker then killed the bat and put it in a cup, which he left in a stairwell before reporting the incident to the front desk.
But it’s not the typical “emotional damages” the Rucker’s are suing for. Their lawsuit is a humble one, in the amount of $15,000, according to the report. The requested total is to pay for medical bills the family allegedly had to endure after the incident. Rucker reported that he contacted the Maricopa County Department of Public Health in Arizona the next day. And that they told him to take preventative measures for rabies.
When rabies happens in Vegas, it doesn’t stay in Vegas.
The other option given, according to the report, was that the bat could be tested for rabies instead. But Rucker stated that he called the New York-New York and was told by the manager the bat was already discarded. Because of this, the lawsuit is including the charge of negligence on the part of the hotel.
The complaint by Rucker included that due to the bat not being available to test, the family had to each get multiple injections to prevent rabies (news3lv.com). It’s not specified how the bat got into the hotel or into the room. But if you’re checking into a hotel in Vegas anytime soon, you might want to double check your curtains. Just in case.