There was a brutal attack on the Las Vegas strip yesterday morning, leaving two people dead. The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department was called out just before noon where it was reported eight people were attacked. The victims included showgirls and other performers who stand on the strip to take pictures with tourists. Two victims were being attended to just outside of the Wynn on Spring Mountain and Las Vegas Boulevard.
Joe Moeller, Senior reporter for ABC 13, tweeted throughout the incident. According to Moeller, the suspect was carrying a knife pretending to be a chef. He asked to take photos with the showgirls and when they refused he went into a rage and started stabbing them. KTNV reported that witnesses told Moeller that the stabbings took place in multiple locations and that at least two showgirls were injured (ktnv.com).
#BREAKING I’m speaking w/ woman who says 4 injured showgirls work for her. She says the suspect had a knife & claimed he was a chef & wanted to take a picture with the showgirls, when they said no that is when the stabbings started, we are waiting for info from Metro now @KTNV pic.twitter.com/MhqqjLTrcE— Joe Moeller (@joemoeller44) October 6, 2022
KNTV also reported that another witness said he was walking on the strip when he thought he heard showgirls laughing. It turned out that the laughing was actually screaming. The witness saw one showgirl with a stab wound attempt to help another one who had been attacked. The second victim was on the ground. An onlooker attempted to provide CPR to the second victim until police arrived on the scene.
The suspect was taken into custody shortly after the stabbings occurred. He has been identified as 32-year old Yoni Barrios. He was apprehended in front of the Venetian and reportedly had a lot of blood on him (ktnv.com).
Fox News reported that there were eight people in total attacked in the stabbing on the Las Vegas strip. They were a mix of residents and tourists. Three surviving victims are in critical condition. Two of the victims did not survive, both Las Vegas residents. 47-year old Brent Allan Hallett and 30-year old Maris Mareen DiGiovanni.
Barrios is in custody and has been charged with two counts of murder and six counts of attempted murder (foxnews.com).
–Wendy Rush, 96.3KKLZ Las Vegas
Follow us! Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.