If you have recently gambled at an MGM casino property, you may be able to get involved in a class-action lawsuit which has been filed against the company in the state of Mississippi. That is where their Biloxi property, Beau Rivage Resort and Casino is located.
According to reporter Greg Haas on 8NewsNow.com, the lawsuit alleges that MGM Resorts are essentially cheating their customers by not paying cashout tickets in full. It was filed on behalf of plaintiff Leane Sherer, who gambled at the Beau Rivage in Biloxi, Mississippi.
Per Haas, this practice was introduced after the COVID-19 pandemic in order to try and reduce “touch transactions.” Haas goes on to report that the practice occurs at all casinos, not just MGM properties. When players cash out, they receive bills for any dollar amount. Any amount less than a dollar is issued in a voucher.
For example, let’s say you have $7.25 left on a slot machine. You would receive one five-dollar bill, two one-dollar bills, and a voucher for the 25-cents, since that amount is under a dollar. Now, you may not wish to put that ticket into another machine, and you do not wish to stand in a long casino cage line for a quarter. So, you leave. If you do not cash that ticket in within 180 days, the ticket expires. According to Haas’s research, 75% of that unclaimed cash goes to the state, with the other 25% going to the casino.
McKenna Ross recently reported in the Las Vegas Review-Journal that the extra unclaimed change amounted to a cool $16.5 million dollars for the state of Nevada in 2022. That means casinos kept approximately $5.5 million dollars in unclaimed vouchers last year.
Greg Haas’s report also states the class-action lawsuit also cites another option offered by MGM casinos which allows the player to donate the money remaining on the voucher to a non-profit organization; a non-profit that happens to be controlled by MGM.
We’ll see if this lawsuit has any legs.
Let’s be friends! 👍 Follow us on all social media platforms:
Larry Martino is the long-time Afternoon Drive personality on 96.3 KKLZ. The views and opinions expressed in this blog are those of Larry Martino and not necessarily those of Beasley Media Group, LLC.