Whether you were watching “I Want My” on MTV or inhaling the fumes from the Aqua Net you were spraying on your bangs… The 1980s were a time to be alive.
The era was truly unique in music with the rise of electronic dance and modern rock. New instruments were being used, pushing the status quo of what “traditional” songs sounded like. Bands started to record LIVE together and technology was advancing. An artist’s image became vastly popular with the release of music videos… (Video seriously did kill the radio star). Artists were skyrocketing to fame with catchy visuals that often aired on the popular MTV. Fashion was extreme with neon vibrant colors and patterns of all styles. The 1980s opened a can of worms pushing boundaries and nothing was off-limits.
Today’s kids are so lucky they don’t have to rewind a cassette tape every time they want to hear their favorite song… (Anyone have a pencil?) Talk about the worst!
Today we celebrate YOU on your birthday with music from the ’80s that made us move. Grab your scrunchies, your jelly shoes, and your hyper tee, and get ready to party like it’s 1999!
Happy Birthday to you! Take a trip down memory lane and jam out with us.
8. Eddie Murphy “Party All the Time” – 1985
7. Katrina and the Waves “Walking On Sunshine” – 1983
6. Whitney Houston – “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” – 1987
5. Wang Chung – Everybody Have Fun Tonight – 1986
4. Kool & The Gang – “Celebration” – 1987
3. Cyndi Lauper “Girls Just Want To Have Fun” – 1984
2. Rod Stewart “Forever Young” – 1988
1. Stevie Wonder “Happy Birthday” – 1981.
Which song is your favorite from our 8 Birthday Songs From The 1980s list?