Banana-stuffed sourdough bread, battered, deep-fried, and dusted with cinnamon-sugar – YUM!! It’s Disney’s Tonga Toast! This beautifully rich breakfast is the perfect treat, and a great way for the family to enjoy a taste of Disney magic, until they can do it in person again!
Tonga Toast from Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 quart canola oil, for frying
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (uncut, 12 inches long)
- 2 large bananas, peeled
Mix sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl (large enough to roll toast) with a fork until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
Whip eggs in medium bowl (large enough to dip toast) until well beaten. Add milk, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
For Tonga Toast:
- Using caution, preheat oil to 350°F in a large pot or a deep fryer. (If using a large pot, use a candy thermometer to make certain the oil does not get any hotter or it will burn.)
- Slice the bread into four three-inch-thick slices.
- Cut each banana in half crosswise, then each piece lengthwise.
- Place a bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle (do not tear all the way through) to stuff half a banana into; repeat with each bread slice.
- Dip stuffed bread into batter, covering both sides, allowing excess batter to drip off bread and place carefully into hot oil.
- Cook 4-5 minutes until golden brown. If needed, turn toast over after 2 minutes and cook for another 2 minutes on other side. Remove and drain excess oil.
- Roll toast in cinnamon-sugar. Repeat for each piece of toast.
Note: This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity. The flavor profile may vary slightly from the restaurant’s version.