Loudwire.com put out a list of 10 Moments That Nearly Destroyed Rock. Don’t know if you’d agree, but an interesting list nonetheless:
1. Les Paul almost dies in a car accident in 1948.
2. Elvis gets drafted in 1958. He was honorably discharged in 1960.
3. John Lennon proclaims the Beatles more popular than Jesus in 1966. He apologized.
4. Tony Iommi chops off the tips of two fingers in an industrial accident. He was told he’d never play again, but obviously, he didn’t listen. (He was 17, so this would have been around 1965.)
5. Randy Rhoads auditions for Ozzy Osbourne’s solo band in 1979. Two things made their partnership almost not happen: Randy only auditioned because a friend made him. He didn’t even want to. Also, in Ozzy fashion – he passed out drunk almost immediately after hearing him play. So he almost didn’t even see the audition.
6. Tipper Gore and the PMRC release the “Filthy 15” list of offensive songs in 1985, and lobby for age-based ratings on music.
7. Slash auditions for Poison. But loses out to CC DeVille. Which freed him up to join Guns N’ Roses in 1985.
8. Judas Priest gets sued in 1990, over the suicide of a young fan. They won.
9. Dave Grohl joins Nirvana in 1990. Grohl was actually hesitant, but his MOTHER convinced him to do it.
10. Maynard Keenan moves to L.A to pursue a career in INTERIOR DESIGN. Luckily, he hooked up with guitarist Adam Jones, and in 1990, Tool was born.
Watch it on video here: